Who Owns Retention? The REAL Employee Turnover Problem – Part 1
What’s the biggest problem when it comes to employee turnover? No one owns retention!
At many companies, when turnover rises executives point to HR to fix it – whose plate is already overflowing with terminations, payroll, benefits management, and back-fill recruiting epson iprint. HR then blames bad managers for running off good people, and the managers push back complaining that executives do not give them enough time or training to manage their people properly Ps4 minecraft mods download for free. They all have a point, but this blame game is costing those organizations tons of money!
Stop Focusing on the Symptoms…Find & Fix the Cause schnittmuster pinguin kostenlos downloaden!
After much finger-pointing, companies often come to the conclusion, “We have so much turnover, we need to hire another recruiter.” Are they kidding herunterladen? That’s like trying to fix a water main break with duct tape. You may temporarily slow down the deluge, but not for long! If turnover is the problem, then you don’t need to hire someone who’s good at recruiting – they’ll just struggle to fill all the positions that keep unexpectedly being vacated was geschieht beim herunterladen von daten aus dem digitalen kontrollgerät. You need a dedicated retention specialist who will diagnose the core issues, work to resolve them, and maintain a stable workforce moving forward for free slideshow program.
So why is the default next step to add another recruiter euro truck simulator 3 for free in full? Because everyone knows what a recruiter does and which line item that goes under on the P&L.
Now before you get upset, I assure you I’m not anti-recruiter herunterladen! Recruiters are great, when you need a recruiter! If turnover is a problem, it is very possible that reworking your recruiting processes might be needed as well images from getty images. Perhaps you really are hiring the wrong people and/or it is time to revamp the interview process, selection criteria, and applicant communication plan Download Christmas carols kids mp3 for free. You may even need to improve your employer brand in your community if you don’t have a positive reputation as an employer in your area. These are all things a good recruiter could handle, but these changes are rarely enough if turnover is rising.
So if you can get approval for a new position, how about pitching the idea of a retention specialist instead? It’s a tougher sell to get approval from the higher-ups – they’ll wonder what a retention specialist is, complain the role sounds fluffy and become convinced it’s going to add overhead costs that seem unnecessary – but you must fight for it! It’s time to get more resources to fix the real issue.
What Is a Retention Specialist Exactly?
More organizations are creating this type of position and the responsibilities certainly vary from company to company, but their primary roles are to determine why people are leaving, and to build relationships and initiatives that extend employee tenure. This often includes, but is not limited to:
- conducting and analyzing employee surveys and stay interviews
- building employee networks/committees
- serving as an employee ambassador who can answer staff questions or listen to feedback
- ensuring the onboarding process is welcoming, thorough and incorporates the company culture
- determining gaps where additional supervisor/management training is needed
- coordinating (and possibly conducting) supervisor/management training and development programs
- identifying operational/system changes that help adjust to a shorter-term workforce
- analyzing compensation, advancement opportunities and scheduling for models that better align with today’s workforce’s needs
- implementing recognition and appreciation programs across the organization
- ascertaining ways the organization and managers can be more transparent with employees
- developing effective staff meeting schedules, agendas, and tools for those leading meetings
- crafting organizational messages that instill the company’s mission and core values
Sounds like a full-time job to me! Who on your current staff has time to do all these things that are needed to reduce unnecessary employee turnover?
More strategies and part 2 of this blog here!
Our keynotes and training programs focus on solving workforce challenges. Which Crescendo program do you think would be most beneficial to your organization?